Water Damage Restoration: Tips For Electronics Restoration
The very primary thing about water damage restoration is to look after your own personal safety. If you have water damage in your home or business, the electric appliances and sources pose a serious threat of electrocution. So whatever methods you follow for damage restoration, you should observe utmost caution regarding all things electrical and electronics. Following are a few tips on how to handle your electric appliances when dealing with water damage restoration.
Electronics Restoration Tips
• The first thins you should do is to wear puncture resistant gloves and boots. These will ensure protection from electrical shock. (You should keep a stock of such boots and gloves for emergency. They also come handy for many DIY jobs.)
• Disconnect all power sources before you start on the restoration work. The first thing, of course, is to shut off all water sources.
• Be excessively cautious when you disconnect any electronic device from current source. If you are already standing in water, you should see that there is no potential shock hazard.
• In case of a submerged electronic device that is still connected to a power source, use utmost caution before disconnecting it. Try to find a switch or circuit breaker for that source of power. Similarly, if you want to remove a power adapter or a plug from a power outlet which has not been switched off, you must find a safe way to do it.
• If you try to retrieve an electronic device with a battery inside, this has its own risks. A shorted battery can be a chemical or fire hazard. If you detect any steam, heat, smoke or melting, it is better to avoid handling the device. You may already have called a water damage restoration company, so leave handling such devices to them.
• In case of safely retrieved and disconnected devices, you can try shaking and rotating them to let any stranded fluid out of the systems. You should also remove the batteries if possible.
• If the device was wholly or partly submerged in water, you should ideally disassemble it to let all liquid drain out of the system and clean the device thoroughly. However, if you are not familiar with the knowhow of disassembling and if the device was not submerged in water, you can simply put it into your uncooked rice container for several days. The rice will generally soak up the remaining liquid.
General Water Damage Restoration Tips
Besides electronic restoration, you should also have to perform certain other tasks to keep the damage to a minimum.
• The first thing is to call up an IICRC certified Water Damage Restoration Company as soon as possible.
• Then you should remove all the furniture from the water-logged areas. The pieces which cannot be removed should be placed over wood or Styrofoam blocks. Also remove books and other valuable materials from the affected areas.
• The dry-up process and the microbial growth prevention would be taken care of by the water damage restoration company. But, if possible, you can apply a primary antimicrobial to slow down the growth of mildew microbes.